About Cleckheaton Sports Club
|Vice Chairman:||Steve Fletcher|
|Chairman of Bowling:||Stuart Johnson|
|Chairman of Cricket:||Ian Gatenby|
|Chairman of Rugby:||Neil Gillan|
|Subscriptions Secretary:||Nicola Gatenby|
|Bar Manager:||Bethan Robinson|
History of the Club
The constituent parts which became Cleckheaton Sports Club began in the late nineteenth century as two separate clubs: Hunsworth Mills Cricket Club began playing at Moorend in 1864 with the first facilities being built just a year later and changing its name in 1885 to Cleckheaton Cricket Club. Bowling was incorporated into the Cricket Club's activities in 1896 with the first green opening in 1897.
Cleckheaton Rugby Football Club first played in 1888 on a field adjoining the cricket field and rugby has been played there ever since save for two sizable gaps in chronology in the early twentieth century when its boys went off to fight in the two world wars. The Rugby Club elected to say within the brotherhood of the Union during the schism of 1895 hence its name Cleckheaton Rugby Union Football Club.
The two clubs operated separately but harmoniously for many years. With Cricket & Bowling being summer sports & Rugby being played in winter, the clubhouse for one was used as the changing rooms for the other with this being flipped as the sporting seasons changed in the spring and Autumn. However, it made sense to bring the two together and in 1972 after a trial period, the clubs merged to become Cleckheaton Sports Club.
Since the amalgamation the sports have gelled together well and our band of volunteers have worked tirelessly to build a successful club which has moved forward tremendously since these early days.